Here’s A Quick Way To Discover What’s Important To You (and me)

Fire and my life

First There Was FIRE!

Last Tuesday night I got the telephone call on the reverse 911 system. Mandatory evacuation. Fire down the road. High Winds. Leave the house.

Now.

It turned out that 800 families got the call, and we were not in immediate danger, but I didn’t know it at the time.

In my car went my child, 2 dogs, (100 lbs each) my cat, (hard to catch in an emergency, so I’m so very grateful she happened to be sleeping in her cat bed at the time), my laptop, my tower from my desktop, and the family passports – in case we had to take an extended vaction. My husband grabbed his camera case.

Hubby and I took a look around the house and shrugged. What else was needed? Everything.

Twenty seven years in the same home. Our lives together. A lifetime of stuff. Photos, family heirlooms, artwork, clothing, Jewelry.

Memories.

What else should we take?

Nothing.

As we drove down our road, smelling smoke, we had no idea what the next few days would bring. We spent the night huddled up in a twin bed being grateful for the safety of our family and pets.

The next morning I gladly went about my day. Hubby went to work, Child went to school, and I taught class with CK on being fully committed to life.

As I said in class that day. I may be evacuated, but I have no control over the fire, my home, or what happens next, so I’m living my life as I always do. Going about my day. Doing my best to stay in the moment. Trying to stay centered. Calm and in the Now.

A beautiful spring snow arrived allowing the firefighters to get the fire under control and the next day we were allowed to return home. And I was (and am) so very grateful that everyone is safe.

I’ve since updated my evacuation list of things I’d take:

  • Clothes
  • Toiletries
  • Homeopathy
  • Essential Oils
  • Artwork
  • Charger cord for cell phone
  • A few office supplies like phone book. paper and pen.

Then, Surprise! A Rock and My Car Window!

What the Heck?

Broken window in my car

So, Thursday morning, feeling like ‘I deserve a break today’, I’m driving along with Child and Friend along a mountain pass to go visit Antero hot springs. Nothing much is happening and I’m still in awe of the power of fire and life and feeling free when …………..

…………....WHAM

A boulder flew off the mountain and shattered my passenger van sliding door. Right next to my four year old girl sitting in her car seat.

Shattered glass, Big Hole. Moutain Highway. Little Girl.

Not good.

I pulled off the road and called my insurance, three car glass replacement places and my husband. No one could really help. We were miles from home, in a roadside pullout. with broken glass in the car and in the window.

So…… We smashed out the rest of the glass (I had a towel since we were headed to the hot springs) and continued on our way.

Thank you… Walmart?!!

The first store we came to was a Walmart and I pulled into the back where they do oil changes. Three guys came out, vaccuumed my car, cleaned up the remaining glass and taped up a cardboard box over the hole.

For Free.

Thank you Woodland Park Walmart guys.

(I sent cookies later).

It took me about an hour to recover from the weirdness of it all, and again, I am so grateful that my child was safe and glass free.

I’ve got two questions for you:

1. What do you make of this weird energy I’m in?

2. What would you take with you if you had to evacuate in a hurry? Does that tell you what is important in your life? (Ok 3 questions)

All comments welcomed.

UPDATE:

They say things come in three’s and this site went down today….. Something to do with WordPress 2.5 or a plugin. not sure which but my day was crazy. WEIRD and I’m glad it is over.
I’m sorry if I lost your comment, or if you are re-reading a post..

Thank you all for just being you.

Leave a Comment

{ 1 trackback }